General Museum Tips
- Visit the Smithsonian's main website for hours and admission information and to plan your visit.
- Visitors must go through the security screening at the entrance of the museums. Security officers will look inside bags, and visitors will walk through a metal detector.
- Some of the museums or specific exhibitions can be loud on busy days. Visitors may bring noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs with them on their visit if they would like.
- For some objects in the museum, an alarm will go off if someone gets too close to the object. If the alarm goes off, visitors should take a step back to give the object space.
- Most museum bathrooms have automatic flush toilets, automatic on and off sinks, and automatic electric blow hand dryers. The hand dryers and the automatic flush toilet may be loud for some visitors.